Three matches to report this week.
Our TVC team had an important promotion battle against a strong team from Staines at the Adelaide.
This was a close fought match which currently stands level with one game adjourned.
- Andrii Boiechko (-) 0:1 Jack Sheard (1853)
- Jack Thompson (-) ½:½ Derek McGovern (1805)
- Adrian Waldock (1705) ½:½ Ye Kyaw (1673)
- Viorel Scobioala (-) adj Paul Seymour (1663)
- Christos Venetis (-) 1:0 David Bean (-)
- Peter Kasprowicz (-) ½:½ Siddarth Ramaraju (1519)
Viorel is a pawn up in a queen ending and trying to win, although his opponent seems to have definite drawing chances. I don’t know about you but I’ve always found queen endings really scary: there are so many chances for perpetual checks and even, if you’re not careful, snap mates.
Congratulations to Christos and thanks to all for playing.
Our TVE team in Division X produced an outstanding result against Hounslow C.
- Alex Shard (1756) ½:½ David White (1782)
- Barry Sutton (1620) 1:0 Eugene Gregorio (1738)
- George Dokic (1376) 1:0 Tim Cutter (-)
- Ken Broadley (1038) 1:0 Andrew Cleminson (1287)
Excellent wins there from Barry (against a dangerous opponent), George and Ken (despite being outgraded by more than 250 points), and a solid draw for Alex against the very experienced David White.
On Wednesday our Fred Manning Trophy team in the Surrey League went down to a narrow defeat against Chessington A.
Submitted by Chessington A
- Alex Raistrick (-) 0:1 David Heaton (1542)
- Harvey Li (1448) ½:½ George Milligan (1539)
- Jonathan Holbrook (-) 1:0 Ollie Taylor (-)
- Meena Santhosh (1053) 1:0 Julian Bedale (1117)
Congratulations to David for a fine win on top board.
Thanks to everyone who played in these matches and especially to the captains for selecting the teams and supervising the matches.