This week’s results: two predictably heavy defeats and a heroic draw.
Our TVB team faced an appointment with fear against Kingston A last Tuesday, doing well to come away with a couple of draws.
- Andrew Hebron (1958) 0:1 David Maycock (2358)
- Jon Eckert (1854) 0:1 Silverio Abasolo (-)
- Sampson Low (1828) ½:½ Will Taylor (2039)
- Simon Illsley (1786) adj David Rowson (2054)
- Victor Bluett (1710) 0:1 Alan Scrimgour (2013)
- Adrian Waldock (1705) ½:½ Stephen Lovell (-)
While we lost fairly quickly on the top two boards, the other games were all hard fought. The unfinished game is almost certainly lost. Well done to Sampson and Adrian.
Kingston’s report on this match is here.
On the same evening our Centenary Trophy team, currently leading their vision, faced tough opposition in Guildford 4. Here’s what happened.
- Maxim Dunn (1914) 1:0 Tony Garrood (1758)
- Andrii Boiechko (-) 1:0 Liam Ireland (-)
- Viorel Scobioala (-) 1:0 Peter Horlock (1656)
- Christos Ventris (-) 0:1 Mike Gunn (1654)
- George Milligan (1539) 0:1 Richard Duncalfe (-)
- Peter Kasprowicz (-) 0:1 David Carpenter (1628)
Maxim won quickly to give us an early lead, but then the lower half of our team lost in quick succession, leaving us 3-1 down. It was a great achievement for Andrii and Viorel to win their games and give us a share of the points. Congratulations to all the winners!
We need to win one of our last two matches, at home to South Norwood on Tuesday 4 April and away to Kingston 3 on Monday 17 April, to win the league. We’ll need to get our strongest team out for both those matches.
Our TVD team in Division 3 have been struggling this season as they’ve lost several players from their small squad, and they again defaulted a board against Harrow.
- Mary Helen Deans (1676) ½:½ Barry Sutton (1620)
- Edward Poynton (1569) 1:0 George Dokic (1376)
- David Stott (1447) ½:½ Laurie Catling (1359)
- Jennifer Goldsmith (1438) 1:0 Julian Bedale (1128)
- Phil Humphry (1396) 1:0 Ken Broadley (1038)
- David Wray (1467) 1:0 Default
Excellent draws there from Barry and Laurie.
Once again, thanks to all for playing, and especially to our hard working match captains for getting the teams together.