Our Surrey teams made a perfect start to the season with two long journeys resulting in two narrow wins.
Our Centenary Trophy team visited Guildford 4 on Monday, where, undaunted by being outrated on every board, they came away with the full point.
- Neil Crosswell (1765) 0:1 Roger Scowen (1702)
- Anthony Garrood (1758) 0:1 Otto Weidner (1684)
- Pascoe Rapacci (1723) 1:0 David Heaton (1542)
- Peter Horlock (1656) 0:1 George Milligan (1539)
- Adam Sefton (1506) ½:½ Ron Bilkhu (1404)
- Carlos Moreno Serrano (1532) 1:0 Ollie Taylor (e1350)
Great wins for Roger, Otto (their ages are about 65 years apart!) and George, and an excellent draw for Ron. Welcome to Ollie, playing his first league match for Richmond.
We’ve re-entered the Fred Manning Trophy this season (4 boards: under 1600) to provide more opportunities for some of our lower rated players. Our first match took us to the wilds of South Norwood.
- John Ganev (1545) ½:½ David Heaton (1542)
- Gengadharan Somupillai (1495) 0:1 Steve Payne (1510)
- David Howes (1457) 1:0 Andreas Maroulis (1488)
- Michael Collins (1192) 0:1 Huw Williams (1434)
A win for last minute sub Steve on his Richmond debut and also for Huw, our inspirational captain, a draw for David, and good to see Andreas back for his first post-lockdown game.
Well done everyone in both teams. Here’s to more Surrey successes this season. Will we still be at the top of the able by next May?