Richmond Chess History
The first Richmond Chess Club ran for a few years in the 1850s.
The first Twickenham Chess Club was founded in 1880. It moved to Teddington and changed its name to the Thames Valley Chess Club in 1896, meeting for a few years from 1901 in the Adelaide, and merging after WW1 with Kingston Chess Club.
The second Richmond Chess Club was founded in 1893, and the second Twickenham Chess Club at some point after WW1. They merged in 1958 to form the current Richmond & Twickenham Chess Club.
Richmond & Twickenham Chess Club President Richard James, also a chess historian, is writing a series of articles about members of chess clubs in the area over the years, which are being published by British Chess News as part of the Minor Pieces series.