The last few weeks since we’ve returned from lockdown have seen a remarkable and welcome influx of new members.
A lot of people have returned to chess, not having played much since childhood. With nothing else to do, they’ve been studying and practising online and have, in some cases, reached a high standard very quickly.
Others have been inspired by watching The Queens Gambit on Netflix, and have decided they want some of the action themselves.
We’re also seeing, most importantly perhaps, and for the first time since the late 1970s, a lot of teenagers taking an interest in chess. Several of the teenagers who joined Richmond at that time are still club members today.
All this means that we’ve outgrown our current venue. While we all enjoy playing, and perhaps drinking, at the Roebuck, we really need somewhere much bigger for our club nights and other events. But suitable venues in this area are not readily available and don’t come cheap.
In the past, we’ve been successful at finding venues through our members’ personal contacts which have enabled us to secure a good deal.
- Within the Borough of Richmond upon Thames, preferably in the Twickenham/Teddington area.
- We meet on Thursdays between 7:30 and 10:30, and might want to start a junior section earlier in the evening.
- Affordable cost.
- Space & furniture for a minimum of 30 people seated playing chess.
- Accessible, inclusive, warm and welcoming environment.
- Quiet, with no noise from outside the room or building.
- Good heating and ventilation.
- Kitchen facilities or ability to buy drinks.
- Clean toilets.
- Good public transport links.
- Car parking on site or nearby.
If you live locally, we’d be very grateful if you could make enquiries or chase up personal contacts on our behalf.
Many thanks to all of you on behalf of the Committee of Richmond & Twickenham Chess Club