Tuesday 4 October saw the start of the Thames Valley League season. We have two teams in both Division 1 and Division 3 this season, so, according to the league rules, these matches must take place first.
In both matches the senior team was successful.
Here’s the A v B result.
- Gavin Wall (2311) 1:0 Andrew Hebron (1992)
- Mike Healey (2250) 1:0 Jon Eckert (1895)
- Bertie Barlow (1940) ½:½ Andrii Boiechko (-)
- Raghu Kamath (1865) 1:0 Pablo Soriano (1790)
- Ian McLeod (1894) 1:0 Victor Bluett (1769)
- Maks Gajowniczek (1800) 1:0 Christos Venetis (1697)
Maks and Gavin scored quick victories by taking advantage of their opponents’ oversights, but the other games were all hard fought.
Bertie had a positional advantage but Andrii managed to escape with a perpetual check. A great result for our new teenage star in his first TVL game and only his second ever OTB standardplay game. Andrii Boiechko, a name to watch out for, clearly has great potential.
Mike and Raghu both pressed with the white pieces and eventually managed to break through the enemy defences.
Predictably, the board 5 encounter between two solid positional players was the last to finish. Victor bravely turned down a draw offer, after which Ian was able to make progress, win a pawn, and claim the full point when Victor ran out of time.
You’ll find a couple of photographs in the Gallery.
The return match takes place next Tuesday when the B team, inspired by Surbiton B winning one of their matches against Surbiton A, will be out for revenge, while the A team will be satisfied by nothing less than 6-0. Do come along and watch!
Meanwhile, at the Twickenham Club, the C team, eager for promotion this season, and now under the captaincy of Mike Robinson-Chui, surged to a 4½-1½ victory against the D team.
- Barry Sutton (1598) 1:0 Roger Scowen (1702)
- George Dokic (1374) 0:1 Otto Weidner (1684)
- Laurie Catling (1366) 0:1 Jack Thompson (-)
- Jim Anandajeyarajah (1226) ½:½ Mike Robinson-Chui (1442)
- Ken Broadley (1049) 0:1 Ron Bilkhu (1404)
- Seb Johnson (-) 0:1 Anurag Venkataramanan (-)
Again, great wins for Jack (an RJCC alumnus) and Anurag in their first TVL games, and congratulations also to the other winners on both sides.
Thanks to everyone who played in either match. We’re looking forward to the return fixtures later this month.